Note: Below is a copy of the FSRA-NOARA Waiver for your reference only.
Florida Scholastic Rowing Association - WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY
Participant's age is 18 or above?:
NOTICE TO THE MINOR CHILD'S NATURAL GUARDIAN
READ THIS FORM COMPLETELY AND CAREFULLY. YOU ARE AGREEING TO LET YOUR MINOR CHILD ENGAGE IN A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ACTIVITY. YOU ARE AGREEING THAT, EVEN IF THE RELEASEES NAMED ABOVE USE REASONABLE CARE IN PROVIDING THIS ACTIVITY, THERE IS A CHANCE YOUR CHILD MAY BE SERIOUSLY INJURED OR KILLED BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS ACTIVITY BECAUSE THERE ARE CERTAIN DANGERS INHERENT IN THE ACTIVITY WHICH CANNOT BE AVOIDED OR ELIMINATED. BY SIGNING THIS FORM YOU ARE GIVING UP YOUR CHILD'S RIGHT AND YOUR RIGHT TO RECOVER FROM THE RELEASEES NAMED ABOVE IN A LAWSUIT FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, TO YOUR CHILD OR ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM THE RISKS THAT ARE A NATURAL PART OF THE ACTIVITY. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO SIGN THIS FORM, AND THE RELEASEES NAMED ABOVE HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO LET YOUR CHILD PARTICIPATE IF YOU DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM.
To be filled (only if participant is 17 or below)
Parent/Guardian Details: ________________________________ ______________________________________
First Name Last Name:
AND I, the parent and/or legal guardian of a minor participating in the Activities, understand the nature of the Activities and the minor’s experience and capabilities and believe the minor to be qualified to participate in the Activities. I hereby release, discharge, covenant not to sue, and AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS, each Releasee from all liabilities, claims, demands, losses, or damages on the minor’s account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or part by the Activities, and further agree that if, despite this Waiver and Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement, I, the minor, or anyone on the minor’s behalf makes a claim against any Releasee, I WILL RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS each Releasee from any litigation expenses, attorneys’ fees, loss liability, damage, or cost any may incur as the result of any such claim.
Florida Scholastic Rowing Association (“FSRA”) Student Athlete Acknowledgment of Rights and Responsibilities
The purpose of this acknowledgment is to inform rowers, and their parents or guardians, of the key rights and responsibilities associated with rowing with an FSRA-affiliated team. It is important that both rowers and their parents or guardians review this acknowledgment in full and understand its contents.
1. Rowers are representatives of the teams that they are affiliated with. Accordingly, teams may be held accountable for the actions of rowers, and for that of friends, family members, and spectators associated with rowers. This means that the actions of an individual rower, or a guest or family member of a rower, can have consequences that affect the entire team that the rower is affiliated with as well as the individual rower. Rowers must always act in a sportsmanlike manner toward other FSRA athletes and teams. The FSRA considers the attempted recruitment of rowers from other FSRA member teams as unsportsmanlike conduct.
2. A rower who attends a school that has an FSRA-affiliated scholastic team must have a written release from that school, effective year-round, in order to compete for a different FSRA-member team at FSRA-sanctioned regattas. For a rower of a Florida-based non-FSRA youth rowing team to compete at an FSRA-sanctioned regatta, a release is still necessary.
3. Rowers who do not attend a school with an FSRA-affiliated scholastic team are free to join any non-scholastic club team. However, if a rower is part of a club team on January 1st of a given year, that rower will be unable to join a different club team during the same calendar year without first obtaining a written release from the club team that the rower is leaving. After the last FSRA-sanctioned regatta of the Spring season will have ended, that same rower is free to join any other club without first obtaining a release form.
4. Any rower who is registered on a non-scholastic club team’s roster and wishes to leave that team before January 1st should notify the FSRA via email at firstname.lastname@example.org that the rower wishes to be removed from that roster. This email should be sent as soon as possible by the rower, and prior to the date of leaving.
5. In the event a rower participates, in any way (including but not limited to attending practice, entering races, fundraising, and recruiting) with a club team, the FSRA may consider the rower a representative and affiliate of that club team.
6. If a rower affiliated with a FSRA member team visits another FSRA member team’s boathouse or practice facilities, he or she must let the coach or supervising adult at the boathouse or practice facility know of the rower’s affiliation with a FSRA member team.
7. If a Florida-based youth rowing team is not a member of the FSRA, the team must abide by all FSRA rules and regulations in order to compete at an FSRA-sanctioned regatta.
8. Non-Florida-based youth, college, masters, and other visiting teams are welcome to compete in FSRA-sanctioned events. Waivers must be signed. Teams must carry liability insurance. All teams may be held accountable for the actions of rowers, and for that of friends, family members, and spectators associated with rowers. This means that the actions of an individual rower, or a guest or family member of a rower, can have consequences that affect the entire team that the rower is affiliated with as well as the individual rower. Rowers must always act in a sportsmanlike manner toward other athletes and teams.
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
IN CONSIDERATION of being given the opportunity to participate in 2022-2023 FLORIDA SCHOLASTIC ROWING ASSOCIATION REGATTAS from September 1, 2023, through August 30, 2024, I, for myself, my personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin:
1. ACKNOWLEDGE, agree and represent that I understand the nature of rowing and paddling activities, both on water and land based (collectively, the "Activities"), and that I am qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in the Activities.
2. FULLY UNDERSTAND that: (a) the Activities involve risks and dangers of serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis and death (collectively, the "Risks"); (b) the Risks may be caused by my own actions, or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the Activities, the condition in which the Activities take place, the actions or inactions of others not participating in the Activities, or the negligence of the Releasees named below; and (c) there may be other risks and social and economic losses either not known to me or not readily foreseeable at this time. I FULLY ACCEPT AND ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS AND ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOSSES, COSTS, AND DAMAGES which I may I incur as a result of my participation in the Activities.
3. AGREE AND WARRANT that (a) I will examine and inspect each of the Activities in which I take part and that, if I observe any condition which I consider to be unacceptably hazardous or dangerous, I will notify the proper authority in charge of the Activities and will refuse to take part in the Activities until the condition has been corrected to my satisfaction; (b) I and I alone am responsible for my personal health and safety and the personal property that I bring with me to the Activities; (c) I am solely responsible for my medical expenses and decisions with respect to my care should I become ill or injured while participating in the Activities; and (d) I give my consent in the event of any such illness or injury to any emergency medical aid, anesthesia or operation deemed necessary by any attending physician.
4. HEREBY RELEASE, discharge, and covenant not to sue the Florida Scholastic Rowing Association, the regattas, their respective administrators, directors, members, agents, officers, volunteers and employees, other participating regatta organizers, officials, any sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises, on which any of the Activities take place, (each a “Releasee”) from all liability, claims, demands, losses or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of any Releasee or otherwise, including negligent rescue operations; and I further agree that if, despite this Waiver and Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement, I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim against any Releasee, I WILL RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS such Releasee from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which any may incur as a result of such claim.
5. I FURTHER AGREE THAT I will ALLOW my PHOTOGRAPH, PICTURE or LIKENESS and/or VOICE to APPEAR in any official documentary, promotional (including any and all advertisements), television, radio or film coverage of the FLORIDA SCHOLASTIC ROWING ASSOCIATION REGATTAS, WITHOUT COMPENSATION.
I have read this Waiver and Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that have given up substantial rights by signing it and have signed it freely and without any inducement or assurance of any nature and intend it be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law and agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid, the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.